Thursday, March 10, 2011

Déjà vu

For the past month and a half, I'm intensely working on the new Subharmonics that I am finally getting.  A few weeks ago we took our kids on vacation but I even took my practice violin along so that I won't forget it.  If I let go for more than a day, I'm afraid I lose it.

This is purely a kinetic exercise that intellectually speaking, quite boring.  I just have to repeat my motions over, and over, and over again until I have it.   These days, every morning for solid one hour and half, I am doing only one thing and one thing only. Practicing this new Subharmonics.   It is getting quite reliable now, and as said in my previous entries I need SEVEN semitones, of which I already have six.  The last one, the open G string, is the most difficult to control.  I am "inching towards it" quite literally.  That is to say, I am putting my left hand finger very very close to the end of the fingerboard so it is almost open G, but not quite.  I am trying to get used to the feeling on my right arm how it would feel like on the open G, although I still can't do it.  I am seeing the day is coming very close.  I can already do it about 60% of the time with this "cheat mode" with stopping the left hand finger very close to the open G.

This exercise is oh so boring, so much so that I need some entertainment.  CNN these days is too disturbing about the news about Libya, so I'm watching movies that I have watched many times before, so I don't really have to watch it.   With occasional resting of my right arm, I can watch "Apollo 13", "The Young Victoria", "My Cousin Vinny". "Analyze That" (or "This"), etc.  I need to occupy my mind but not so much so that I need to pay attention to the film.  When I work, I usually need some kind of distraction.  If the TV or movie is on, I usually don't remember much, which my husband laughs about.  I can watch the same movies over and over again since I'm not really watching :)

No comments: